The legal stuff
Everything you need to know about our competitions and promotions.
These general conditions apply to competitions and other promotional activities organised by Sanlam Indie (“the Provider”). By participating in the competitions, the participant agrees to the competition terms and conditions that follow. In addition, each competition and/or other promotion may have specific terms and conditions mentioned in the competition rules.
Qualifying criteria and rules:
- Only South African citizens between the ages of 18 to 65 may participate in the competition and/or promotion.
- Excluded from participation are staff and relatives of the Provider and cohabiting partners or family of the aforementioned employees. As well as any participants/suppliers in respect of the particular competition (including advertising agencies, advertisers, sponsors or producers).
- The participant is obliged to provide accurate, current and complete information when participating in the competition. Sanlam Indie may request a winner, before presenting the award or prize, to provide proof of their identity and residence information.
- In cases where obtaining a quote from Sanlam Indie brings about entry to a competition or promotional benefit, multiple entries are not permitted as entries are counted on a per person basis and not by number of quotes obtained. In these cases, only participants who receive a life cover quote will be entered into the draw for the prize.*
- Participation in the competition or promotion requires that all relevant information required to accurately determine the identity of the applicant/participant must be supplied to the Provider.
- The decision of Sanlam Indie is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding results and the awarding of the prize or promotional award.
- The prize is personal and is registered in the name of the winner. The prize is not transferable, exchangeable or payable in cash or other products or services. In case of refusal or non-acceptance of the prize or conditions that are inherent to a competition, the prize will not be awarded. In that case, Sanlam Indie is entitled to choose another winner.
- The prize or promotional award is given in its current state. Sanlam Indie is not responsible for any visible or hidden defects in the prize nor for any damage during delivery (shipping) of the prize.
- The handling of the delivery of the prize or promotional award is arranged by Sanlam Indie, the advertiser/sponsor or another appointed third party. In this last case, Sanlam Indie is not responsible for the delivery of the prize or promotional award. In certain cases the date of delivery of the prize or promotional award will be determined in consultation with the supplier of the prize.
- Sanlam Indie is not responsible for any defects or delays caused by delivery or shipping companies (e.g. delays, strikes, damage) with respect to the delivery of the prize or promotional award. When the winner, or a roommate, co-inhabitant or neighbour, isn’t able to receive the prize, the winner may be requested to collect the prize from an agreed location. The Provider shall not be held liable if the prize is not collected or received by the winner or collected by an unauthorised person.
- The transfer of ownership of the prize or promotional award is dependent on the cooperation of the applicant and/or winner with the competition or promotional rules and registration process.
- In the case of physical delivery of a prize or promotional award, Sanlam Indie will be responsible for arranging delivery and will only use the services of professionals.
- If the prize consists of tickets for concerts, festivals, films, sports events or similar types of events and/or holidays/flights, there can be no claim on any form of compensation in case of cancellation.
- Where a prize or promotional award is to be delivered by electronic means there can be no claim of any kind against Sanlam Indie for defects to the validity of the code, data or other electronically transmitted information containing the prize or promotional award and Sanlam Indie as a best endeavor may direct the recipient to a third-party provider for resolution.
- If the prize includes travel/accommodation abroad for which a passport is required, the participant must be in possession of a valid passport to receive the prize. The prize is not awarded when failing this condition.
- A competition entry and/or an applicant for a promotional award are counted as one per person regardless of the number of obligation-free quotes obtained. Should an individual client obtain multiple quotes it will not result in multiple entries nor eligibility for multiple promotional awards.
- Participants who have previously activated complimentary cover with Sanlam Indie will not be eligible for additional complimentary cover as part of any promotion or competition.
- At the request of Sanlam Indie, the winner(s) of the prize will cooperate in promotional activities to the extent that can be reasonably expected of them, including where agreed publicity regarding the announcement of the winner(s) across all media including radio, television and online. For cooperating with these promotional activities no financial compensation will be paid unless agreed to by Sanlam Indie.
- Applicants for a competition or promotional award consents to the processing of personal data in connection with participation in the competition or promotion. Sanlam Indie will safely store all entrants and applicant personal information in its database, which is confidential and will be treated in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act.
- Personal information may be used to execute the competition and the granting of a promotional award. In this context, Sanlam Indie is entitled to provide personal data to third parties involved in the relevant competition (including suppliers, advertisers, sponsors and/or producers) so as to communicate and deliver the prize or granting of the promotional award and in limited instances may share personal information with a competition partner for marketing purposes.
- Sanlam Indie is in no way responsible for any damages arising from participation in the competition or promotion or for any technical malfunctions, failures or delays with respect to participation in the competition or promotion or the appointment of the winner or the receipt of a promotional award.
- Sanlam Indie is in no way responsible for any problems or defects arising from the use of the Website and/or downloading any components whatsoever in relation to the competition or promotion.
- Sanlam Indie is entitled to, at its discretion and without notice, change or modify these terms and conditions specific to the competitions or promotions without giving a reason to discontinue, modify or adapt the competition for reasons of its own without any obligation to compensate any damages on behalf of the participant. Any changes or adaptations within the competition will be made public in an appropriate manner (e.g. via its website).
- Sanlam Indie reserves the right to amend or alter these terms, the conditions of a competition, or the requirements of a promotion at any time and reject entries from entrants who act outside of the fair spirit of the competition and/or promotions.
- Sanlam Indie is the proprietary holder of all information resulting from the competition or promotion.
* Exception for referral campaigns (to single entry rule):
- In instances where Sanlam Indie runs a referral campaign, additional (“bonus”) competition entries may be permitted.
- It shall remain conditional upon the initial applicant / participant and all referees obtaining a quote.
- All other rules as contained in these terms and conditions, except where this exception applies, shall remain applicable (e.g. multiple quotes do not result in multiple entries).
- Referral campaigns may be identified by the specific promotion / advert and will clearly state that additional entries to a competition can be gained through a set number of referrals. These additional entries will be regarded as “bonus entries” (e.g. 3 referred applicants will make one eligible for 1 bonus entry).