Indie Smile Icon

Let’s chat

Can I claim for something that happens outside South Africa?

Am I covered outside of South Africa?

As long as you don’t claim for something that happens in any of the excluded countries, then we’ll cover you, the policyholder, outside of South Africa .

But we might ask for additional supporting documentation, depending on the circumstances. For example, we might ask for a certified English translation of your death certificate.

For income payments due to disability, we'll only pay out for a maximum of 12 months to policyholders who are overseas. After that, we'd need a medical report from a doctor nominated by Sanlam - so you'd probably have to travel back to South Africa to get that sorted out.

Are my family members covered outside of South Africa?

That depends on their nationalities. On Family Funeral Cover, there are some rules for additional lives:

Can I live and work overseas?

If you have life insurance, yes. You can live and work wherever you like (except for the excluded countries). For Funeral Cover, you need to live permanently in South Africa.

I still have questions...

If your situation is a bit complicated or you have any questions, email us at or click the Let's chat button on the website to chat to our customer support.

Related articles

Return to category