When does Sanlam Indie not pay a claim for a funeral policy?
With Sanlam Indie Funeral Cover there are no health checks and no questions about your medical history.
The only reason we'd refuse you funeral cover is your age. You can take out funeral cover for yourself up to age 60, and for any family members up to age 85.
Because funeral policies are not underwritten, we have to protect ourselves from people who might take advantage of the system.
In these cases we would deny the claim:
- someone dies of natural causes within 6 months of you taking out the policy
- someone commits suicide within the first 12 months
- someone dies while taking part in a crime
- someone dies outside of South Africa (if they are not a citizen of South Africa, Lesotho or Namibia)
- someone dies in one of the excluded countries (if they are a citizen of South Africa, Lesotho or Namibia)
You can only cover certain members of your family. Check if you can add someone to your policy.
Also, it goes without saying that you need to be honest with us about the little info we DO ask for (that is, your family member’s age and relationship to you).
As always, make sure you check your policy document for more details. If there's anything you don't understand, please contact us.